[Tagging] Test prep centres and cram schools as amenity=prep_school?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Jul 6 22:14:13 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-06 14:20, marc marc wrote:
> Le 06.07.19 à 15:17, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :
>> provide after-school additional instruction
>
> why it isn't still a school with another min_age/max_age
> or any additional tag ?

For much the same reason that an acupuncturist's office isn't tagged
amenity=doctor. If we establish an education=* key with a wide range of
possible values, like healthcare=*, then that's a different story. But
amenity=school is commonly understood by mappers and data consumers as
an institution that provides a certain kind of educational instruction.
We have dedicated tags for amenity=kindergarten/college/university, and
kindergartens have more in common with elementary schools than these
often retail-like establishments.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us