[Tagging] Test prep centres and cram schools as amenity=prep_school?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 03:01:16 UTC 2019

TL:DR I think we can use amenity=test_prep or amenity=cram_school for
most of these.

An alternative from British English would be amenity=tuition, but I
think this might not work in many dialects of English?
----------------------------------
I did some more research about this. Apparently Kumon has branches in
the USA, UK and Aus too. Kumon advertises themselves at offering "Math
and English tuition" aka tutoring classes, in Australia, and as
offering "After School Math & Reading Programs" in the USA.

In the UK the Kumon website says "Maths tuition & extra English
lessons for children - Kumon Europe"

In India, Pakistan, Malaysia and Singapore, the British - influenced
term for these places is "Tuition Centre"; (we call them a bimbel or
Bimbingan Belajar in Indonesian - translated lit. "learning guidance"
or "tuition"),  however the word "tuition" could be confusing in other
dialects of English?

Kaplan describes themselves this way: "offers test prep, license and
certification exam prep, degree programs, English learning and pathway
programs" - so while test prep is their main business, they also have
English classes to prepare students; they are not as different from
the Japanese and East Asian "cram schools" as I thought.

So perhaps we can group the test prep centres, after-school tuition
and cram schools in one tag after all.

I would still think that a individual tutor, who might come to your
home to provide one-on-one tuition / tutoring, would have an
"office=tutoring" or "office=tuition", because the office is not
always the site where the services are delivered.

But the large facilities that offer after-school and test prep classes
would deserve an amenity key.

I'm willing to write up a proposal.

Joseph