[Tagging] track smoothness/quality

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 09:12:55 UTC 2019

On 07/07/19 17:40, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> *"Tracktype* is a measure of how well-maintained a track or other minor road is..."
> "... particularly regarding surface firmness."
>
> In contrast, on Map Features it says tracktype is "To describe the
> quality of the surface".
>
> The maintenance frequency of a road is not directly observable, so
> it's good if this tag is defined in a way that relates to the road
> itself.
>
> This was the original description for grade5 in early 2008:
>
> "unpaved track; subtle tire marks, lack of hardcore, Soft with low
> grip, subtle on the landscape."
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Map_Features:tracktype&oldid=71778
>
> Until July 2018 the grade5 description mentioned that the materials
> should be "uncompacted":
>
> "Almost always an unpaved track lacking hard materials, uncompacted,
> with surface of soil/sand/grass."
>
> Should "not compacted" be added back to the description, perhaps?

There is a visibility tag.

So 'tracktype' should have that removed from its consideration.

Maintenance frequency ? Yet another tag. And not something all that usefull.

I don't think 'tracktype' is all that usefull.

Surface .. yes. Relatively easy to understand.
Smoothness ... yes. Should give an indication of required ground clearance.
Steepness? Yes - the tag is incline.

Compaction? Not a value I'd use.
Bear rock that have never been compacted can be harder that a road that has been compacted.
Rather have a tag for 'hardness' that 'compaction'.

But when it rains .. it can turn a 'good road' (compacted, hard, smooth and fairly level) into a bottomless pit (deep mud), or a skating ring (wet clay).

And then there are Australian 'salt lakes' .. a dry hard crust on top .. with black goo underneath if you break through.