[Tagging] shop=window(s) incorrectly deprecated in favor of craft=window_construction ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 07:53:29 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 10. Jul 2019, at 01:17, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just as doors come in standard sizes, so too do windows.
>
> You can read the reasons why things come in standard sizes here http://www.ausdesign.com.au/articles/article27.html

the typical size of windows may vary according to the region, tradition and of course building structure. As I had hinted above, masonry construction leads to a grid of measures based on the individual brick size and joint width, because you would try to avoid cutting bricks. While you’re completely free in theory if constructing with concrete, there are standard sizes for formwork, and measurements tend to follow those based on masonry. With wood the distance of the structural beams will influence the window width, ceiling heights and building standards (safety, prevent people from falling out) as well as room depths generally determine the bottom and top quotes of windows. Of course there is also a lot of design consideration playing into the decision how to distribute the window area on the facade.

> Of course you can get non standard sized windows and doors.. but they cost more.

only for some kind and if you order few, for bigger constructions it does not matter much.

Cheers, Martin