[Tagging] [Indoor] is indoor=level walled ?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 01:18:34 UTC 2019

On 23/07/19 21:42, PanierAvide wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently working on a project involving editing of indoor
> features. Regarding Simple Indoor Tagging scheme :
>
> "indoor=level is optional and not intended for rendering purposes, but
> for having a place to add additional information like a floor name"
>
> So according to wiki, indoor=level doesn't involve having a implicit
> wall following the geometry. Is it something we agree on ?
>
> In that case, if I need to create an explicit wall following the
> contour of the indoor=level feature, I should create another way with
> indoor=wall tag. According to wiki, indoor=wall can only be used on
> lines, so if I create a closed line, it should not render as an area
> (same behaviour as footways). Is it also something we agree on ?
>
> Last question, if I want to create a wall as an area (imagine for
> example a wide pillar where no one can enter), should I just use
> indoor=wall + area=yes ?

I'd use indoor=room for an area that is enclosed by a wall, after all
that is a room.

indoor=wall to me is a free standing barrier within a room.

A pillar? Humm you could model it as a wall.

If the building has multiple levels then using the level=* tag says what
level the thing is on. A wall could be only on one level, or a few ..
I'd want to tag that . A pillar could flow from bottom level to top level.

I don't use indoor=level, I do use level=* and level:ref=*.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_Indoor_Tagging

And I'd look at  some tagging examples on level up
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_Indoor_Tagging#Tagging_Examples_.28alphabetical.29