[Tagging] Tagging remain of extinct volcanoes

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 14:04:14 UTC 2019

It's fine that some training and knowledge is required to properly tag
features in OSM. For example, it takes some experience or wiki
research to learn the difference between natural=heath (dwarf shrubs)
and natural=scrub (shurbland), or wetland=bog and wetland=marsh.

However, a mapper who visits a particular place, and reads the OSM
wiki carefully, should be able to clearly distinguish between the two
types of vegetation. Similarly, the definition of natural=volcano
should be clear and practical enough to determine.

A mapper doesn't need to be a geologist to know that a mountain is a
volcano if it is active or dormant: climbing up to the crater may
reveal smoking or steaming fumaroles with nasty sulfur odor, and the
shape of the crater or volcanic vent is distinctive.

But even a geologist won't be able to distinguish a heavily-eroded,
extinct volcano by just visiting the area one time. Often this
requires digging into the ground and studying the buried layers of
rock in several locations.

If the only way to know that a certain peak was once formed by
volcanic activity is that you have to go to a library and read an
article in an old geology journal, then we are adding definitions to
tags that don't fit the OSM way of checking for real, current things.

Wikipedia is based on citations of other people's research, and
depends on trusting that the findings of experts in the field are
correct. Original research gets you a warning.

On the contrary OSM is based on real, current, local information that
can be confirmed to be true or false: it's primary research by
ordinary mappers.

Not everything that is published, not everything that can be cited in
Wikipedia, is suitable to be mapped and tagged in OSM.

Joseph