[Tagging] Tagging remain of extinct volcanoes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 07:47:49 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 25. Jul 2019, at 03:11, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While it’s common to misuse this tag to mark the highest peak of a mountain of volcanic origin, it would be best to use it for the actual center of the volcanic vent, and use natural=peak for the high point.

maybe it can be both? If it is a polygon it would describe the vent, while a node would mark the highest point?

There could maybe also be vulcanoes that are now a depression rather than a peak (e.g. the thing collapsed)?

There are also 708 https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/geological=volcanic_vent

and 131 natural=volcanic_vent

I would prefer these tags for explicit vents, as they remove the ambiguity.

Cheers Martin