[Tagging] New page "Approval status" for "de facto", "in use", "approved" etc

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jul 28 19:37:25 UTC 2019

28 Jul 2019, 11:12 by osm at imagico.de:

> On Saturday 27 July 2019, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>
>> Please take a minute to review the new page
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approval_status <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approval_status>

Thanks for creating it and submitting it for a review!

> A bit of a general remark here - the OSM wiki has for quite some time
> been torn between being an attempt to document the established mapping
> practice (i.e. what tags actually mean based on how they are used) and
> being a way to tell mappers what tags are supposed to mean in the
> opinion of those editing the wiki.

I edited Deprecated features page to be more explicit that
wiki editors are documenting tagging situations, rather than ordering mappers
and developers how this should be used

See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Deprecated_features&action=historysubmit&type=revision&diff=1882964&oldid=1820343 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Deprecated_features&action=historysubmit&type=revision&diff=1882964&oldid=1820343>
for my changes, feedback is welcomed.

> The way you present this status concept is in support of the latter - in
> particular your use of the term "recommended" on status values that do
> not represent a formal proposal status (that
> is 'draft', 'proposed', 'voting', 'approved' and 'rejected') ultimately
> means recommended by those who have dominance over editing the wiki.

I made some small changes, see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Approval_status&type=revision&diff=1882980&oldid=1882393 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Approval_status&type=revision&diff=1882980&oldid=1882393>