[Tagging] Tagging of State Parks in the US

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 23:17:27 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 5:47 PM Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 28. Jul 2019, at 22:23, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > But this doesn't really address the problem. We can't fix State Parks
> > by making them 'boundary=national_park admin_level=4' because they
> > don't function as 'national park' in the IUCN deffinition of the term.
>

> the proposal was boundary=protected_area
> admin_level=4
> you could also add a protection title.

Right. And the original proposal was to activate a protect_class=*
that was previously dormant, because nothing of 1a-6 fits the
situation. Many of these parks simply aren't created to conserve
nature, they're created to provide opportunities for a variety of
outdoor recreations.

admin_level isn't *wrong*, it just doesn't help. With or without
admin_level, there's no IUCN-defined protect_class that fits.