[Tagging] Specific tag for Satellite Dishes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 12:17:21 UTC 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 11:18, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

However, I don't see much benefit from mapping private household
> satellite antennas: the dishes in the linked picture above are only 90
> cm across, and they are on just about every house.
>
> Maybe there are more useful things to map in Ghana before adding these
> minor features?

I don't know about the situation in Ghana, but I can conceive of
communities where it's one
satellite dish per village with public access (or nearly so) to the TV.
"Here is where you
get to watch the news about the rest of the world," "Here is where you
watch the broadcast
educational stuff," kind of thing.  But that's probably better handled as
some sort of
amenity tag (here is where you can watch TV) rather than a physical mapping
of dishes.

That said, as you observed, there seem to be a lot of dishes in that image
so I wouldn't map
them as they're not for the public.  I could see where it might be useful
to somebody to map
them to show the uptake of the technology in given areas, but that's what
uMap is for.  If
that's why Enock wants to do it, I might be amenable to a new tag that
doesn't get rendered
which could be picked up on uMap automagically with an overpass-turbo
query, but maybe
the db guys would object to that level of clutter.

--
Paul