[Tagging] Are disused=yes and abandoned=yes deprecated by disused:key=value & abandoned:key=value?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 13:24:25 UTC 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 13:54, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

Is there a case where making it visible would actually be useful?

Yes, I would argue that disused physical objects should be rendered.  A
disused:building=house
is still a house.  An abandoned:building=house is still a house.  Even
ruins:building=house may
still be visible.  Disused non-physical objects should not be rendered: a
disused:amenity=pub
is no longer a pub.  Except there are grey areas, such as disused sports
pitches which are
maintained to some degree (weeds cut down occasionally) but no longer
used.  They could
be re-activated for their original purpose.  Abandoned railway lines pose
yet other problems.

For quarries or buildings disused/abandoned status is a property and is not
> changing
> feature so it makes sense to use disused=yes and abandoned=yes.

Which we do only because (currently, on standard carto)
disused:building=yes doesn't render.

In case of shops it is fundamentally different - disused shop is no longer
> a shop.
> If someone really wants to tag it (may to protect against accidental
> remapping
> then disused:shop=* is preferable (and it makes no sense to render it in
> most cases)

Depends.  It might be preferable to use shop=vacant is there is a strong
probability (such
as zoning restrictions) which mean that it won't be converted into a
domestic residence.

Is there some trace of the pub (maybe sign?) or danger of incorrect
> remapping?

Then it makes sense to keep it.

In one case I've mapped, yes.  It's a listed building with a distinctive
old pub sign which
cannot be removed (because it's a listed building).  It closed a couple of
years ago and
as far as I can tell is now a domestic residence.  A mapper passing by
would assume it
is still a pub.  https://goo.gl/maps/nf3S2MfjjV12tqAaA

Though in cases where no trace is left I would delete it (yes, OSM doesn't
> map history).

Again, near me there are several pubs that have closed but there is a
prospect they will
re-open under new ownership.  One recently had a bad fire 6 or 7 months ago
but has
just re-opened.

And then there are churches and chapels which have closed but not, as yet,
been repurposed.
So building=chapel + disused:amenity=place_of_worship.

--
Paul