[Tagging] lanes = 0

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 19:03:32 UTC 2019

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 at 19:46, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

 Besides, just because something is hard to fix doesn't mean it shouldn't
> be fixed.

Yes, but modal verbs are tricky. :)  I agree it SHOULD be fixed, but that
doesn't mean that it
CAN be fixed.  And even if it CAN be fixed, that doesn't mean it WILL be
fixed.

Redefining lanes means we also need to re-examine all of them.  Some will
be obvious
from aerial imagery, some will need feet on the ground. And then we need to
agree on
an additional tag (which could just be a note, but with formal syntax) to
show that the
lanes tag has been used in a way that conforms to the new definition, or
mappers are going
to waste time checking the same roads many times.

Better would be to come up with a new tag for it.  That way you know if the
road has an old
lanes=n tag or a new whatever=n tag and don't have to re-examine if it has
the new tag.
However, if standard carto makes any rendering decisions based upon lanes=n
(I don't
know if it does or not) then the carto guys may completely ignore our nice,
new
whatever=n tag because they seem to have a strict rule about "no aliases"
and they might
consider whatever=n to be an alias of lanes=n.

Oh, and you'd have to get editors and routers to support the new whatever=n
tag, although
that probably isn't an insurmountable problem.

Don't hold your breath for a change.

--
Paul