[Tagging] Tagging buildings that people work in

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 08:01:13 UTC 2019

The kind of derivative information that you suggest does not add much to
the map, hence I don't support your proposal.

On the other hand, if you simply added the area of the parking lot you see
next to the building (kind of a factual information), others could draw the
same conclusion as you did. At the same time, this would be great help for
drivers in finding parking spaces, adding utility to the map compared to
"symbolizing things". Note that we prefer that OpenStreetMap contains
mostly verifiable facts, not pure inferences. It would be extra helpful if
you used a resolution high enough for you to see whether it is fenced off
or not (access=*).

Note that I don't always add even parking lots from aerial imagery to the
map without local knowledge, because you can't be certain about what is on
the ground. Around here, it is not always easy to tell apart from car
retail, parking + residential storage&garages, VAT auction storage lots,
marketplaces and whatnot. Historic cities have very limited parking space,
and even those are mostly underground - with your inference someone may tag
all of these buildings as unoccupied, which is clearly wrong.

Also, currently I see each of your replies as a new message thread,
unrelated to one another. Could you please use message threading (I thought
that clicking on the 'reply' button would have done the right thing)?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/message-threading-thunderbird