[Tagging] A modest proposal to increase the usefulness of the tagging list

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 13:41:41 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 14:17, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

Am 02.06.2019 um 14:40 schrieb Paul Allen:

> As I already said, I understand your frustration.
>
> No, obviously you don't.

Really?  You looked inside my head and determined that I do not understand
your frustration.
And here I was thinking that I merely disagreed with your proposed
solution.  That just goes to
show how stupid I am, right?

There is just no way the community can handle a dozen or more proposals per
> month in any reasonable fashion,

That's an interesting assertion.  I'm not convinced the evidence backs it
up, but I'll assume
(for the sake of argument) that you're right.  So now what?  We refuse to
deal with the 13th
proposal in a month so the proposer invents an ill-conceived tag and uses
it.  Until and
unless you can put a mechanism in place that prevents people inventing tags
and using
them without discussing them on the list first, this is not a good idea.
Hint: I use `12 of my
30 posts/month proposing whimsical tags, so that the tag I really want to
use is not
subject to discussion so I'm free to use it anyway.

> essentially it is just gaming the system in another way than wikifiddiling.

It appears you believe people are deliberately making proposals to game the
system.  I'm
far from convinced that is the case.  But if you're right about people
acting in bad faith, I'd
already thought of two ways people can game your proposal before you
replied to me, and I
wasn't even putting any effort into trying to find flaws like that.  Your
proposal won't stop people
gaming the system (if anybody actually is gaming the system), it will just
change the tactics.

--
Paul