[Tagging] A modest proposal to increase the usefulness of the tagging list

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 23:33:24 UTC 2019

On 02/06/19 20:10, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6/2/19 10:47, Simon Poole wrote:
>> In the interest of keeping the list at least half usable, I would
>> suggest that we all, starting now, voluntarily submit to:
>>
>> - not posting more than 30 times per month (the 30 comes from the WMF
>> mailing lists, where it seems to work quite well)

That limits discussion, some of which could be very usefull.

Rather it would be better to encourage the subject field modified to identify that divergence from the original subject.

>> - not more than one proposal per person per month
>>
>> - not more than 4 new proposals per month in total
> - propose tags only if you, personally, have solid demand for it (i.e.
> you have already mapped, or intend to map, the feature intensively).
> This puts a practical limit to idle tag fantasising. Everyone can think
> of something that doesn't have a tag yet - that is the cheap part...

There are people who don't use this list that map things that are not documented.
As there is more than one of them they tag the same things with different methods... e.g. my recent 'horse mounting blocks'.
I propose it simply to combine these features under one tag rather than let them run wild with all sorts of tags.
To ban this effort of combining features under on tag to reduce the number of proposals so that people here have a quieter life?
I prefer to organise them ... I like order as it aids memory, learning and therefore mapping.

If you want to limit the number of proposals per month then form a queue...
I have a number of proposals that are simply waiting for my attention... 'horse mounting blocks' being but one of them.