[Tagging] A modest proposal to increase the usefulness of the tagging list

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Jun 3 13:02:18 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 11:11:50AM +0200, Peter Elderson wrote:
> LS
> I agree that email is not the best tool for discussions. The main thing for
> me is that the world of email is no longer limited to one mailer. It is not
> possible to make them all thread and separate and quote exactly as I would
> like. Basically, it's just a list of mails without any logical order.

That is definitly a client problem. I am reading mails by thread and
can ignore threads, mark complete threads as read and i exactly see
who is responding to whom.

With the tree i see i can even detect the most controversal or
responded messages without opening them.

> The OSM forum is not the best forum you could imagine, but it works much
> better for keeping track of discussions and outcomes, including threading,
> limited quoting, searching, back-reading, and starting spin-off subjects.
> And it works on all devices, without having to tame all of them separately
> (which I am not even allowed to do on many of them). Moderating a forum is
> also much easier.
>
> So I would be very much in favour of moving to the forum.

I will definitly not follow to the forum. Its a pull media so i need to
explicitly point and click to follow issues.

Mail communication can be much more complex and may fade to different
subthreads. Large threads form into a tree and not some linear easy
thing. Thats a problem of a newer generation not having read
stuff like the Netiquette RFC1855 - Change the subject if your dicussion
fades.

Flo