[Tagging] A modest proposal to increase the usefulness of the tagging list

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 15:16:02 UTC 2019

> Op 3 jun. 2019 om 15:02 heeft Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 11:11:50AM +0200, Peter Elderson wrote:
>> LS
>> I agree that email is not the best tool for discussions. The main thing for
>> me is that the world of email is no longer limited to one mailer. It is not
>> possible to make them all thread and separate and quote exactly as I would
>> like. Basically, it's just a list of mails without any logical order.
>
> That is definitly a client problem. I am reading mails by thread and
> can ignore threads, mark complete threads as read and i exactly see
> who is responding to whom.
>
> With the tree i see i can even detect the most controversal or
> responded messages without opening them.

Sure. If you use one mailclient and control it completely, you can do a lot. You know, like in the old days. Unfortunately, these are the new days, where people move around and use whatever client or browser is available.

>> The OSM forum is not the best forum you could imagine, but it works much
>> better for keeping track of discussions and outcomes, including threading,
>> limited quoting, searching, back-reading, and starting spin-off subjects.
>> And it works on all devices, without having to tame all of them separately
>> (which I am not even allowed to do on many of them). Moderating a forum is
>> also much easier.
>>
>> So I would be very much in favour of moving to the forum.
>
> I will definitly not follow to the forum. Its a pull media so i need to
> explicitly point and click to follow issues.

No need to pull anything. It’s there and it stays there. You go there to participate. you can get notifications and digest by mail if you like.
If you don’t like to point and click/tap, you do have a problem with all  current applications.

> Mail communication can be much more complex and may fade to different
> subthreads. Large threads form into a tree and not some linear easy
> thing. Thats a problem of a newer generation not having read
> stuff like the Netiquette RFC1855 - Change the subject if your

I know that stuff. It’s hopelessly outdated, and adds unnecessary complexity where simplicity is so much more, uh, simple.

Anyway, i’m skipping more and more of the mailing list messages, because it’s a pain to even keep track of what it’s about. Costs lots of time and seldom pays off. I get much more value from the dutch osm forum.