[Tagging] Irrigation: usage=irrigation vs irrigation=yes [Was Irrigation: ditches, canals and drains]

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 10:15:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 03:59, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> * iD had trouble in the past with tags where single key was used
> for many purposes (it was AFAIK triggered by service key)

I think there were several triggers.  The discussion on github I
encountered was with
covered=* being used for telephone booths.

AFAIK, the iD team are still unhappy with tags that have different sets of
values depending upon
context.  They don't have a problem with foo=X, Y and Z being applicable to
wibble=*, wobble=*
and rhubarb=*.  What they have a problem with is if foo=X, Y and Z is only
applicable to wibble=*,
foo=P, Q and R is only applicable to wobble=* and foo=A, B and C is only
applicable to rhubarb=*.
That kind of thing complicates populating drop-downs of values for a tag.
Either it requires extra
code to decide which values are sensible in a given context or you get a
drop-down with all the
values, so that it's easy to mistag a railway as service=irrigation.

--
Paul