[Tagging] Irrigation: ditches, canals and drains

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Jun 5 20:55:00 UTC 2019

I believe all are drains. None have width tagged, as I just researched it for the pictures. Tagging width from imagery is difficult, as even a small amount of weeds/grass can obscure their true size. The resivoir box just happens to be our residential area's garbage transfer point (you can see the cage in the photo), so I see the area often. Adding width to the 100KM I have tagged is very difficult.

There is a canal + irrigation "aqueduct" nearby. It brings water 10KM to a small holding lake near the newer drain pictures. The dam feeds an existing stream that is the headwaters for a 30KM river, providing irrigation to farmers. and these drains & small resivoir are the first to pull water from that stream (and return to it 1.5km later).

The older drains are in an urban system farther away, mostly handling rain runoff - but eventually supply water to farmers downstream outside of town.

The canals (aqueducts) are rare very easy to spot, as they are constructed quite differently. The rest of the drain-ditch-stream-river system is dual-purpose irrigation+storm water management. A separate sewer system (or cistern tanks) handles household wastewater.

Javbw