[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:tourism=camp_pitch

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:44:32 UTC 2019

> The OSMwiki says tourism=caravan_site is not for sites that accept tents
> at all.

I think you are mistaken. The wiki page says "They may also have some
space for tents. If a site is primarily for tents, it should be tagged
as tourism=camp_site". This has always been a part of the page, since
2011.

However, the wording of the page was rather confusing. In July 2014,
it seems that someone wanted to define this tag as being mainly for a
"Reisemobil-Stellplatz", or "Motorhome stopover" rather than for
American-style RV Parks - they changed the wikipedia link from
[[wikipedia:RV_park]] to  [[wikipedia:Motorhome_stopover]].

But tourism=caravan_site tag is also used for full-service RV parks,
which usually allow tent campers.

I've fixed the page now.

> How do you handle sites that accept both caravans and tents on different
> pitches?

As I said: tourism=camp_site or tourism=caravan_site for the whole
area, depending on the most common type of camping offered. If both
are about equal, I would personally use tourism=camp_site.

> How do you handle sites that accept both caravans and tents on the same
> pitch?

Are you asking: "how do you tag the individual pitch to show that it
can be used for either caravans or tents or both at the same time?"

That's not part of this specific proposal. It only includes the single
tag tourism=camp_pitch, which can be used for this case - it doesn't
distinguish between tent and caravan pitches.

However, the old version of the proposal, before I revived it,
included a tag "camp_pitch:type=" which could have a value like
"=tent;caravan;motorhome" - this would be a toursim=camp_pitch which
allows tents, caravans and even large "motorhome" vehicles.

We should discuss this if tourism=camp_pitch is approved

-Joseph