[Tagging] refugee camp

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 12:17:22 UTC 2019

I understand why refugee camps have been mapped with
amenity=social_facility - it's the closest existing tag, since
tourism=camp_site is clearly wrong and landuse=residential isn't quite
right.

However, I don't think that large refugee camps are a perfect fit for
amenity=social_facility.

 Most of these are group homes (eg orphanages), nursing homes (for the
elderly), hospices, assisted living facilities, homeless shelters,
outreach facilities for the homelss, etc - they provide services for
vulnerable groups in the community who have difficulty living on their
own.

Refugee camps are closer to an informal residential settlement in many
developing countries, especially those that are larger or have been in
place for more than a few months (these are the ones most likely to be
mapped, I believe).

I would encourage creating a proposal and a new tag specifically for
these sorts of places. There could perhaps be a distinction between
sites for people temporarily displaced locally (eg a camp for people
in the same town, after a flood) versus long-distance or international
migrants.