[Tagging] refugee camp

Jan S grimpeur78 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 09:40:38 UTC 2019

> On 6/6/2019 5:27 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> >>*     I'd suggest something like social_facility=temporary_housing.
> *>>>* To me, social_facility doesn't quite cut it for "refugees". Refugees
> *>* strike me as people fleeing from war / massive natural disaster -
> *>* social_facility comes across as small scale for homeless people /
> *>* women's refuge sort of thing?
> *>>Browsing through the values of social_facility:for, it's a lot more
> diverse than just victims of abuse and poverty -- and
> social_facility:for=refugee(s) has hundreds of uses. But you definitely
> have a point about scale -- some of these camps house over a hundred
> thousand people. That's on the scale of a small city -- a community, not
> a facility. So maybe place=refugee_camp is a better solution.

Picking up the subject again (and having noticed that the refugee camps I
know in my area are not tagged at all or at least very rudimentary simply
as amenity=social_facility), I've done another search on the internet and
have dug up this wiki page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Refugee_Camp_Mapping

It's been modified in 2018 for the last time, is quite rudimentary in the
description of the tags and values proposed and apparently oriented mainly
at makeshift camps in Africa or the Levante. It would be an effort to bring
some order into this and to make it more diverse (covering anything from
spontaneous camps like the infamous Jungle in Calais or the already
dismantled Idomeini camp, to permanent structures like asylum-seeker
reception centres like this: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/390153052).

I'll see if I can give it a try over the next weeks... or would that be a
task for a coordinated action?

Best, Jan