[Tagging] Deprecation of non-approved values for diplomatic=?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 10:53:02 UTC 2019

On 14/06/19 20:06, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I was checking the pages related to the office=diplomatic proposal,
> which approved the tags diplomatic=embassy, diplomatic=consulate and
> diplomatic=liaison - I just made pages for these 3 tags and added
> =liaison to the key:diplomatic page.
>
> Based on the proposal, I suspect that the other values could be marked
> as deprecated, but I'm not sure if this was clear enough during the
> proposal process. Do others agree that tags like
> diplomatic=honorary_consulate should be listed as deprecated, replaced
> by consulate=honorary_consulate (for example)?
>
> - Joseph

LinkĀ  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:diplomatic

Taginfo https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/diplomatic#values

Usage

diplomatic=honorary_consulate ~450
consulate=* ~190 ..

Clearly the consulate key lacks use. And there is no wiki page for it... I see no point in making this key?
diplomatic=consulate was an older part of the now approved office=diplomatic .. as such it is not approved!
There are several iterations of the proposal. It is only the final version that has been approved.

Editorials.. to the wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:diplomatic

I have removed duplication of amenity=embassy from the 'usefull combination' but have left it in the 'requires' section.

Moved office=diplomatic to 'requires' section.

I think at the moment both of these tags are 'required' when using the key diplomatic=*, not just a 'useful combination'.

Reinstated to the 'usefull combination' ; sending and receiving countries. Both of these could be usefull with the key diplomatic=*.