[Tagging] Deprecation howto [was: Deprecation of non-approved values for diplomatic=?]

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 14:07:07 UTC 2019

Hello Frederik,

Le 15.06.19 à 12:28, Frederik Ramm a écrit :
> On 6/14/19 5:49 PM, marc marc wrote:
>> I think the proposals for a new tag should clearly say:
>> - add such tag
>> - edit the old tag description to point the new tag
>> - write to editors to adapt presets
>> - propose a mecanical edit, if necessary by splitting it up
>> to avoid a global opponent blocking everything
>> - propose the depreciation of the old tag
>
> Such proposals would need to clear a much higher bar than we currently
> have. I'm thinking "at least 500 votes of which 75% in favour" or so.
>
> You cannot have 15 people decide on such wide-ranging changes.

why does osmf let this be done permanently with fewer people?
self-goal and wrong target !
tl;dr;

I propose that you submit your idea to the vote, a vote that
will obviously have to obtain the score you want to put forward.

is your proposal simply disconnected from reality ? no recent
proposal for tags has received so many voters/participants if
I remember well, even ml tagging nor a call for discussion
on the wiki does not receive so many participant.
or do you want each proposal to be the subject of a massive
emailing so that a larger number of people can participate ?
it would be very interesting to have more people, yes.

but beware of self-goal,
right now, there are 5 ways to depreciate a tag
- a proposal, submitted to collective intelligence, transparency,
and voting. have about twenty participants
- variant with mécanical edit.
- a thematic operation as has already been done several times,
collective discussion, transparent but with a reduced visibility,
without a vote. public variable according to the themes, fatally
smaller than a global discussion.
- individual action of contributeur. one change A into B,
another change B into A
- a mass edition distributed and spread out via editor, not very
transparent, subject to a "informal vote" between 1 to 5 dev

avoid wrong target, making community deprecation impossible
will only take action out of the control of the community.
we know the consequences of this, avoid a self-goal !

Regards,
Marc