[Tagging] man-made missing-manhole mistery

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 22:59:25 UTC 2019

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 06:11, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I stumbled upon this:
> According to the manhole <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:manhole>
> wikipage  "manhole=drain" has as a prerequisite "man_made=manhole"
> BUT, according to taginfo, there are
> 10337 instances of " manhole=drain", but only 1809 instances of
> "man_made=manhole"
>
> Is it time to change the wiki page to describe the actual use or am I
> missing something?

Are we even allowed to call them *man*holes? :-)

manhole=drain for a storm water drain (opening / grate that allows heavy
runoff from street gutters down into the storm water system) doesn't seem
quite right to me, as a manhole is an access point for people to climb down
into pipes etc.

Have seen man_made=storm_drain in use which seems a better choice to me.

Thanks

Graeme