[Tagging] Idea for a new tag: amenity=power_supply

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 04:55:25 UTC 2019

On 22/06/19 11:24, marc marc wrote:
>> waiting areas often have specific locations
>> to charge electronic devices.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aamenity%3Ddevice_charging_station
>
>   >  amenity=charging_station <> amenity=power_supply
>
> some normal electrical outlets allow cars to be charged
> and some charging terminals use normal outlets.
>
> I think we're gonna to do it in two proposals:
> - get amenity=power_supply adopted
> - try to harmonize how the type of socket/plug is described.
> socket key is probably the most successful but for charging stations,
> the information is missing if it is a plug or a plug at the end of a
> cable on the terminal side.

What is really being tagged here?

The socket.

So tag "electrical_socket=USB/*"??
That clearly says what it is, not a power generating station or some other thing that could be construed in to a 'power supply'.

Add tags access=customers/* fee=no/yes/* and
for the detailed types of mappers voltage=*, frequency=*.
The type of socket will usually determine the maximum current/power so I'd not tag that.