[Tagging] paid ferry - fee or toll tag

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 22 09:03:31 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-22 10:38, bkil wrote:

> If we step back a bit from our dictionaries, fee=* as a concept is
> isomorphic to toll=* (and fare) in this context.

Only insofar as they indicate that the user has to pay. "Toll" has a
distinct meaning, in the UK at least, that it is (and needs to be)
sanctioned by law.

> As all of them could
> be understood by native speakers and fee=* covers a more general
> category, it is clearly the better choice. If we consider our data
> users, non-native speakers and learning curve, the less terms we use
> in our vocabulary, the better.

"As simple as possible, but not simpler". Attributed to Albert Einstein,
and a philosophy I wholeheartedly embrace. If it is required to be able
to make the distinction between a charge levied based on a legal
sanction, and a charge simply levied by the owner because they feel like
it, then the subtle difference between "toll" and the other words is
significant. If we all agree that the distinction is not to be
represented in OSM, then this discussion is moot - call it something
neutral like payment, fee, charge, whatever. This process is called data
modelling; the modelling aspect comes from the fact that you have to
make compromises, and you have to choose which compromises to make
according to what is important to you. Otherwise you are just
replicating reality at full scale, which defeats the point of modelling.

As this is OSM, it only takes one person to want to make this
distinction to unchain interminable discussions...