[Tagging] Hiking logbooks

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Jun 26 14:49:21 UTC 2019

On 6/26/2019 9:47 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> tourism=register looks correct for Peter's case.
> As the person who started the second thread above, I still consider it
> unresolved. I've been using tourism=register for now and ignoring for
> the moment the distinction between "I was here" and "you must sign in
> and out."
>
> Thanks to Warin for mentioning 'checkpoint'. I might contemplate
> adding that to the summit registers on the fourteen Catskill peaks
> that still have them.

Please do -- I tromped around Balsam Cap for an hour and never found the
register!

As far as the trailhead registers go, I'd be happiest with a tag that
could share a node with tourism=information + information=map tags. In
the Catskills the trail registers are usually some distance uptrail from
the map kiosks, but I've definitely seen them combined into a single
structure many times.

Some variant of register=yes (or register=required wherever appropriate)
would work on the kiosk. But as a standalone tag it's kinda unsatisfactory.

Using checkpoint=* sounds like it would work well enough as an
additional tag on the map kiosk and as a standalone tag -- and it
already has over 9000 uses. So checkpoint=hiking|summit,
checkpoint:type=register|notebook, optionally checkpoint:required=yes.
It's a little wordier but I'd tend to prefer an established tag.