[Tagging] Additional tags for camp pitches and campsites (Re: Tag:tourism=camp_pitch)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 22:39:38 UTC 2019

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 23:32, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like to discuss what other tags can be recommended for use on
> a tourism=camp_pitch feature.

Thanks Joseph (& apologies for encroaching earlier!)

> An alternative was proposed that uses namespacing with camp_pitch, eg
> camp_pitch:drinking_water=yes instead of drinking_water=yes, but I
> don't think this is helpful

I agree that the simple tags eg drinking_water=yes for each of the features
sound better than the namespaced version

cabins  <number>         Whether cabins are offered

I have only ever seen 1 cabin per site, but it would be helpful, especially
for families, to also list number of beds per each cabin (cabin=yes +
beds=2/4/8).

(The alternative would be something like camp_pitch:type=tent;caravan
> - but this doesn't seem as helpful since it requires semicolons in
> values. I'm not certain about using "cabins=<number>" for pitches, but
> it fits with the pattern for camp_site and caravan_site)

As above, the simple caravans=yes/no, tents=yes/no, cabin=yes, possibly
also big_rig=yes/no (for 5th wheelers & bus-sized motorhomes that may not
fit on a normal sized site) for each site seems easier & better.

We recently discussed this tag for electricity supply:

> power_supply    yes/no  Whether the pitch has electricity

Which would also tie in with the recent discussion of sockets / plugs /
connectors or whatever it was decided to call them!, to specify what you
are going to plug your power in to.

parking yes/no  If motor vehicle parking is permitted at the pitch

Yes, that would work fine. Some tent only camping grounds, you can't park
beside your tent. You have to park in the car park over there & carry
everything across to your actual camp site.

> openfire        yes/no  Whether an open-fire is permitted or not
>
> (This tag is used over 2000 times, though it's definition could be clearer)

An open fire usually refers to a fire burning on the ground. 2 other
options, 1 of which I mentioned, are off-ground fires only, which is when
you can only have a fire in an off the ground brazier or fire pit, so as to
avoid burning the grass; or fires in existing fire rings only - I don't
like them - you can't see the flames! :-)

> There was also: "camp_pitch:drain=yes/no"       "There is a grey water
> drain
> for this pitch."
>
> This seems less useful, but perhaps this is for RV/caravans, which I
> don't use. The simple tag "drain=yes/no" could be confused with uses
> to describe the type of waterway=drain, so I'm not sure what's best
> for this.

Very important for caravanners!

How about sullage=yes/no, or perhaps grey_water=yes/no?

Thanks

Graeme