[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 12:37:10 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 at 12:14, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> Can you give an example of place where emergency vehicles are
> legally forbidden from entering?

Can I point you to an actual, real-world, example?  No.  Can I give you a
scenario?  Yes.  A bridge
wide enough for motor vehicles but a very low weight restriction that
effectively limits it to foot
traffic.  Of course, we'd cover that with a weight restriction but, in this
case, emergency vehicles
are prohibited.  Which might not stop them, if the emergency was bad enough
(but might
result in a secondary emergency if the bridge collapses).

Not all jurisdictions explicitly use the term "exigent circumstances" but
almost all of them
recognise the concept.  The term is generally used with regard to
warrantless entry of property
but applies more generally.  It may be necessary to commit a minor legal
offence in order to
prevent harm or damage (but you may later have to justify your actions in a
court,  even if you're
part of the emergency services).  However, that doesn't mean that emergency
vehicles can
simply ignore all traffic laws all the time.

Tagging that emergency vehicles are denied access but other classes of
vehicles are allowed
access doesn't match reality.  Ways where vehicular traffic is physically
possible but legally
prohibited could be tagged as allowing emergency access but that seems a
little pointless,
adds needless access tagging, and requires the mapper to make a judgement
call that
is really a decision that the emergency services would have to make for
themselves and
which might vary with circumstance.

--
Paul