[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Sat Mar 2 00:48:23 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-02 01:35, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 00:22, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it <mailto:smz at smz.it>> wrote:
>
>     On 2019-03-02 00:59, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>     Being picky, but (at least out here) they're not exempt, they're just allowed to break them :-) eg in an emergency, an ambulance can go through a red light, but if they cause an accident by doing so, the driver will be charged (& they have been)
>
>     Sorry, but I'm inclined to categorize the above as BS, or "fake news", if you prefer, until you provide evidence (in which case I'll apologize and eat my words).
>
> http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/ scroll down to, or search for, section headed
> "Exemptions from Road Signs."  Applies in UK, may be subject to change by future legislation.
> Essentially if they cause an accident by jumping a red light they're in the shit.  Because they're
> allowed to go through a red light only if it is necessary AND it is safe to do so.  If they end up
> causing an accident, it obviously wasn't safe to do so.
>
> --
> Paul

Of course. And the operative word here is "*exemption*". The truth is that a driver *could  *be in deep troubles for "reckless driving" while having caused the accident (/because there was actually no emergnecy, because he was intoxicated, because ther was an 18 wheeler in the mdst of the crossing at that time and he ignored it, etc./), but not for having jumped the light "/per se/".

What your street code says about the behaviour drivers at a crossing (with lights) must have when there is an incoming emergency vehicle?

Sergio