[Tagging] "satellit"

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Mon Mar 4 11:16:44 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-04 11:54, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Do not counter this with "not sufficiently relevant for mapping", as you'll see people will likely tag it ;-)

Personally I counter this for lack of observability/verifiability.

From https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability

    "At the core, "verifiability" is that everything you do can be demonstrated to be true or false - the latter hopefully implying that there has been a change on the ground that needs mapping. We apply this not only to the mapping data itself, but also to the way in which we record it - the tags and values we use to describe the attributes of objects on the map. From a given scenario, a tag/value combination is verifiable *if and only if* independent users when observing the same feature would make the same observation every time. For a user's tagging to be verifiable, it is desirable to have objective criteria for tagging. This principle applies to any observable characteristic which is a matter of fact, be it numerical or descriptive - a concrete road surface, a red brick building, etc. "

Isn't the above an OSM tenet any more?

Sergio

P.S.: yeah, I know it is a "lost cause", but anyway...