[Tagging] Mapping curb (kerb) lines as the home of curb, parking, etc information

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 00:01:55 UTC 2019

> Can we please first define a solution (e.g. a relation) for connecting
such separately mapped components of a road to the highway?

I agree, this is a very important issue and it happens for a lot of
different situations - a lot of different features that can and are mapped
separately would benefit from a street <-> separate feature mapping. This
is the incentive behind mapping streets, auto lanes, bus lanes, bicycle
lanes, sidewalks, verges, etc. on the street: the relationship query is
unnecessary, the information is shared in the way.

Stable IDs would help with this problem, but I haven't seen much traction
behind adding core features to data types. What would you think of a new
'associatedStreet'-style relation that would organize the various features
that should be associated between streets and the surrounding environment?
Example members (with no particular naming/role conventions in mind):

- The street way(s).
- Any separate bicycle way(s).
- Left sidewalk way(s)
- Right sidewalk way(s)
- Left curb(s)
- Right curb(s)

Other info that *might* benefit from either this or a similar relation:
- Building(s) / addresses (as France does)
- Greenways (trees / tree lines / verges)
- Traffic islands (a common use case for barrier=kerb ways
- Some street signs (some should probably be in a different relation
involving more than one way)

This is certainly a lot of members, and not all are necessary, but I think
there's value in traversing between these data in, as you mention, a
machine-readable way.

> This fundamental limitation really needs to be addressed before we
consider splitting roads into even more parallel ways.

Just to clarify, the road can keep all of its same data as is currently
mapped. This would be an additional piece of information that tends to go
unmapped.

Best,

Nick