[Tagging] "satellit"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 05:00:25 UTC 2019

On 06/03/19 13:31, Sergio Manzi wrote:
> On 2019-03-06 03:20, Warin wrote:
>> On 06/03/19 12:38, Sergio Manzi wrote:
>>> Also, if on the other hand you don't expect all TV antennas to be
>>> mapped, what will be the value of such fragmentary and sparse
>>> information? "/Cui prodest/"? Who is going to benefit from such
>>> information? Those with a concrete interest in such information will
>>> surely already have their accurate sources of information and
>>> disregard our fragmentary and sparse information of unknown accuracy.
>>
>> Unfortunately people are tagging antennas .. in all sorts of ways.
>> And it is a mess.
>>
>> I seek to provide some constancy so that the information is at least
>> usable for those that want it.
>>
>> A short look at
>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/antenna%3Atype#values will
>> give you a feeling of what is happening and why there needs to be
>> some guidance on it.
>> The numbers are small .. but best to provide some guidance now rather
>> than end up with 'oh but it is in use so we cannot fix it now'.
>

> My friend, there are 88 persons who have mapped 520 antennas
> (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/antenna).

I am one of those 88. Well at least one who has modified other peoples
work on some antennas that have been mapped.
An example ... Way: Murchison Widefield Array (607964749) - there will
be 2,048 dipole arrays here .. I have chose to map them as an area as
that is easiest at least for the moment.

I have tagged it as
   "website"="http://www.mwatelescope.org/"
     "man_made"="telescope"
     "telescope:type"="radio"
     "name"="Murchison Widefield Array"
     "description"="2048 dual-polarization dipoles when combined forms a
single telescope"
     "antenna:polarisation"="dual"
     "antenna:configuration"="dipole array"
     "antenna:propagation"="reception"
     "frequency"="80 - 300 MHz"

There are located near a collection of other radio telescopes ... higher
frequency ones .. with steerable dishes.

> Compare it to the billions of antennas out there and I think we are
> far below the "/noise level/" and that all energy "invested" in trying
> to regulate this is... lost energy.
>
> The only antennas I would personally map and tag are those who are
> enough conspicuous to represent landmarks.

The ones I am mapping are certainly conspicuous.

So .. what is the best way to map them?

That is the function of this list, does not matter how many.. just get
the tagging as good as we can and then let the mappers use or not use it.