[Tagging] tagging laboratories

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 13:19:12 UTC 2019

Am Di., 5. März 2019 um 17:57 Uhr schrieb Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com>:

> On 3/5/2019 2:48 AM, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>
> > ... and then there are big research centres that are called
> > "laboratory". Like LLNL or Los Alamos National Laboratory.
> >
> These sorts of things I've seen tagged as amenity=research_institute.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=research institute

+1, indeed I thought the discussion here was about individual
"laboratories", not research institutions that carry the word "laboratory"
in their name. Often you can find many laboratories in the same building
complex (because they tend to common requirements, or at least need
"special treatment" compared to office space, so it makes somehow sense to
concentrate them.

I could imagine other "entities" more interesting to tag, because their
category is on a less fine grained level, e.g. a company producing dental
prosthesis, or providing medical analysis, or food analysis, etc.,
regardless of the amount of laboratories they have. The laboratories could
be tagged additionally within them (probably more interesting for example
in the university context, where the information is often publicly
available and important to more different people than in a private context).

Cheers,
Martin