[Tagging] tagging laboratories

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 14:13:56 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 2:51 AM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... and then there are big research centres that are called "laboratory". Like LLNL or Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The two near me (GE Global Research Center; Knolls Atomic Power
Laboratory) I've simply tagged 'landuse=industrial'. Both are mostly
devoted to the development of industrial processes, from early
experiments at benchtop scale up to pilot plants. Both have
occasionally even gone into manufacturing specialty components,
usually when attempts to build out the process elsewhere encountered
unexpected difficulties. One is my employer.

Most of the buildings on the GE site are tagged 'building=industrial'.
(The fire house, the fitness centre, the power plant, the sewage
treatment facility, and the on-site hotel are tagged as such.)  Most
of the buildings have both labs and offices and I've not attempted to
do any indoor mapping to separate the two.

Conditions in the laboratories vary from "experimenters work in shirt
sleeves" to "experimenters work in space suits".