[Tagging] shop=clothes vs shop=fashion

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Wed Mar 6 14:48:59 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 09:42, dktue <email at daniel-korn.de> wrote:
> I currently found out that shops that sell clothes are either tagged with
>      shop=clothes
> or with
>      shop=fashion
> but I can't find out when to use which.
>
> Can anybody clarify?

There is a continuum with shop=clothes, shop=fashion, and into
shop=boutique. As far as I know there is no clear definition
currently. But there also isn't a clear distinction in the real world.

shop=clothes is by far the more widely used one:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=shop&value=clothes 230
thousand uses, https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=shop&value=fashion
7 thousand, https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=shop&value=boutique
15 thousand.

My interpretation has been that shop=boutique is significantly more
expensive than shop=clothes. To be honest I wouldn't use shop=fashion
unless neither "clothes" nor "boutique" fit very well for whatever
reason.

--Jarek