[Tagging] shop=clothes vs shop=fashion

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Wed Mar 6 14:50:02 UTC 2019

On Wed, March 6, 2019 3:42 pm, dktue wrote:

> I currently found out that shops that sell clothes are either tagged with
> shop=clothes or with shop=fashion
> but I can't find out when to use which.

shop=clothes only sell unfashionable clothes.

But seriously, shop=clothes is factual whereas shop=fashion is a matter of
appreciation, so I would go with shop=clothes and let subsidiary tags
optionally describe the particular sort of clothes sold.

And then there is shop=boutique which I hate with a particular passion,
not just because is is as subjective as shop=fashion but also because
"boutique" is French for "small shop" and it is therefore used all over
West Africa to tag all sorts of shops...

Links:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dboutique
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dclothes
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dfashion