[Tagging] leisure=common replacement for public areas with some trees

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:43:49 UTC 2019

Am Di., 5. März 2019 um 09:02 Uhr schrieb Marián Kyral <mkyral at email.cz>:

> Hi,
> recently was dropped [1] the leisure=common rendering from
> openstreetmap-carto as it is "misused" by mappers.

are we really going to invent tagging duplicates because OSM-Carto dropped
rendering for the established tags?

If we drop tags because they are sometimes applied in a nonconformal way
(compared to their definition), we will end up with no tags.

> A suggested replacements are: *leisure=park, landuse=grass and/or
> landuse=farmland*. But there are many places around, that are not official
> park and not grass as there are some trees as well. Typically a small areas
> in the city between apartment buildings. These areas are not official
> parks, gardens or grass. It is just a green accessible for everoyne. So we
> can say it is a *public* or *common* green.

The carto team should not suggest to retag leisure=common to landuse=grass,
as the latter should be used only for "small patches of grass" e.g.
"alongside of roads", nor will park or farmland be appropriate in many
instances.

> So question is, how to tag it? There is also tag landuse=village_green [2],

yes, the differences between common and village green are probably only
conceivable in jurisdictions where these literally exist.
I agree landuse=village_green can sufficiently replace leisure=common
(doesn't feel completely right in "leisure", considering these are physical
features, while the specifics of "common" seem to be of legal nature

Cheers,
Martin