[Tagging] shop=clothes vs shop=fashion

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:51:51 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 20:17, Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:

> Hmm, basically all kiosk type shops around my area are big enough to be entered - but only sell newspaper, magazines, cigarettes, drinks and snacks.  But *not* any of toilet paper, shampoo, cornflakes, yogurt, bread (so, daily needs) iirc
>
> I think what they sell is a more useful differenciation than whether you can enter or not.

What you describe is a shop=newsagent [1]. I wasn't aware of this tag
until four days ago when someone mentioned [2] on the Swiss mailing
list that some newsagents (k kiosk brand) are wrongly tagged as
shop=kiosk instead of shop=newsagent. Unfortunately, the word "Kiosk"
is also used for newsagents in German (or at least in Swiss German).

In my opinion, a shop that doesn't sell other food than snacks and
other non-food items than newspapers shouldn't be tagged
shop=convenience.

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dnewsagent
[2]: http://lists.openstreetmap.ch/pipermail/talk-ch/2019-March/009904.html
(in German)