[Tagging] Possibility to draw parking properties as an area

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 11:59:03 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 02:18, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:

Yo passepor wants to "draw exactly what space is occuping" so in that case
> putting the area to the side of the road probably makes more sense, even
> though it would prevent a routing engine from actually being able to arrive
> inside the parking amenity.

Going from memory (I've deleted his mail with the link), those parking
areas were contiguous with
the road.  On one of them, the cars parked perpendicular to the road and
access was along the
whole length of the parking bay.  It is, I believe, correct to connect
them.  Not just for routeing but
because it represents reality on the ground.

> Personally I wouldn't be inclined to directly connect a side of the
> parking area to the highway way unless they really were completely
> indistinguishable.

Here's a (very small, delivery-only) parking space I mapped as connected to
the way:
https://goo.gl/maps/oaXMUYZTLn72 (relax, I didn't use Google Maps to map
it, it's literally
a two-minute walk from where I live).   I mapped it as
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/525946296  I consider that to be
indistinguishable
from the way, and from my memory of the aerial imagery for Yo passepor's
parking spaces, I believe
they were similar.

I'd only separate the parking spaces from the way if there were some
physical barrier along the
common border.  But in that situation I'd map map a driveway at each end
and possibly a
parking aisle along it.  Something more like this:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/525370232
(except that's wider than either of Yo passepor's examples, being wide
enough for two rows of
parking spaces).  The barrier in that case is a raised kerb, so you could
drive over it if you really
wanted to, but it's easier to use the entrances.

--
Paul