[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC - Line attachments

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Sat Mar 9 08:40:32 UTC 2019

Hi François,

Am 08/03/2019 um 00.35 schrieb François Lacombe:
> The line attachments proposal has been updated according to comments
> received all along past weeks. Thanks to TOGA and Nakaner mainly.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lines_clamps
>
> It is not restricted to power nor telecom lines. Any line can be anchored
> or held with suspension clamps over heads.
>
> This sounds to be ok for me and may be voted shortly.
> Feel free to raise objections or comments prior of this to help building a
> more useful tagging.

You propose to use semicolons to separate the values if the cables at a
mast have a different suspension:

line_attachment=suspension_clamp;pin;suspension_clamp

We have a similar issue when tagging different speed limits on road
lanes and use a | to separate lanes (minspeed:lanes=90|90|40).

Unfortunately, the cables of a power line can be located on multiple
levels. Therefore, you propose to use semicolons to separate cables at
the same level and vertical bars to separate levels. A semicolon has a
slightly different meaning in OSM.

I would like to see line_attachment=* only for masts where all cables
are mounted equally and propose to use line_attachment:cables=* if one
value does not fit all cables.

In order to circumvent the semicolon issue, I propose to introduce round
braces for all cables of one level.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Pole_multi_attachement.png
would be tagged like this:
line_attachment:cables=(suspension_clamp|pin|suspension_clamp)|(suspension_clamp)
This avoids using adding variable parts into keys (line_attachment:1=*,
…) which I myself could not call "good tag design".

Best regards

Michael aka Nakaner