[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 03:30:15 UTC 2019

On 10/03/19 14:07, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 06:51, Jan S <grimpeur78 at gmail.com
> <mailto:grimpeur78 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have written up a draft of a police scheme.
>

> Good start Jan.
>
> A first few thoughts.
>
> police=naval_base sounds very dramatic & possibly a bit over the top?

That suggests to me
police=military .. military=naval/army/air_force/* !!!

But I think you will be better off with
police=water/air .. some places do have police helicopters with bases
too so here is a tag for them?

The police=military will probably have their own barracks and offices too?

Then you have state police, federal police .. and many others depending
on where you are in the world. And sheriffs!

> Having said that, none of the other common options seem quite right
> either eg mooring / dock / boatyard / marina? Maybe
> police=marine_operations / maritime?
>
> police=prison. Are you aware of the existing amenity=prison?
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dprisonious 'prisons'
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dprison>

There are various 'prisons'. The OSM one is one kind.
Police can have small ones they hold people in e.g. while drunk, or
before sending on to court, courts can have their own too.

>     Such areas shall be tagged as landuse
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=police
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landuse%3Dpolice&action=edit&redlink=1>.
>

> Nice idea! Maybe rendered as blue stripes, where =military is pink
> (which has always struck me as a bit strange! :-))
>
>     Typical police stations, i.e. places where one can get in contact
>     with the police usually 24/7, should be rendered different from
>     other police facilites.
>

> I would suggest possibly only rendering the actual "Police stations",
> using the existing policeman icon? Everything else, possibly just
> tagged as building=yes + name=Police holding yard, so that the only
> "Police" icons you see are the Police stations that you need to visit?
>
>     police:name
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:police:name&action=edit&redlink=1>=* shall
>     be used to tag the denomination of police running the specific
>     facility
>

> As Warin mentioned above, just use the existing name= & operator= tags eg
> name=Palm Beach Police Station
> operator=Queensland Police Service
>
> name=Gold Coast Water Police
> operator=Queensland Police Service
>
> name=Gold Coast Aviation Operations Centre
> operator=Australian Federal Police
> would certainly seem to work in most of our contexts - would this
> format work worldwide, especially in European countries that seem to
> have myriad Police Forces?
>
>      Btw: It's my first shot, so please be gentle with me.
>

> Nerve-wracking, isn't it? :-)

Just let the comments come in. Don't take it personally.