[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 03:07:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 06:51, Jan S <grimpeur78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have written up a draft of a police scheme.

Good start Jan.

A first few thoughts.

police=naval_base sounds very dramatic & possibly a bit over the top?
Having said that, none of the other common options seem quite right either
eg mooring / dock / boatyard / marina? Maybe police=marine_operations /
maritime?

police=prison. Are you aware of the existing amenity=prison?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dprison

Such areas shall be tagged as landuse
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=police
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landuse%3Dpolice&action=edit&redlink=1>
> .

Nice idea! Maybe rendered as blue stripes, where =military is pink (which
has always struck me as a bit strange! :-))

> Typical police stations, i.e. places where one can get in contact with the
> police usually 24/7, should be rendered different from other police
> facilites.

I would suggest possibly only rendering the actual "Police stations", using
the existing policeman icon? Everything else, possibly just tagged as
building=yes + name=Police holding yard, so that the only "Police" icons
you see are the Police stations that you need to visit?

police:name
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:police:name&action=edit&redlink=1>
> =* shall be used to tag the denomination of police running the specific
> facility

As Warin mentioned above, just use the existing name= & operator= tags eg
name=Palm Beach Police Station
operator=Queensland Police Service

name=Gold Coast Water Police
operator=Queensland Police Service

name=Gold Coast Aviation Operations Centre
operator=Australian Federal Police
would certainly seem to work in most of our contexts - would this format
work worldwide, especially in European countries that seem to have myriad
Police Forces?

 Btw: It's my first shot, so please be gentle with me.

Nerve-wracking, isn't it? :-)

Thanks

Graeme