[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 18:07:32 UTC 2019

On 10/03/2019 16:02, Sergio Manzi wrote:
> 2) More than "prison" I think "jail" would be more adequate: AFAIK police forces do not "own" prisons (long term incarceration) but only jails (short term incarceration). It is true that in some countries a dedicated police force is in charge of prisons operation, but the "ownership" of the prison is usually "the government".

That difference might confuse  - that's an American rather than a UK
difference, I think.  Where "jail" (or even "gaol") is used in the UK
it's essentially a synonym for prison.  Ireland I think has a similar
usage to the UK; not sure about other English-speaking jusidictions
worldwide.

Best Regards,

Andy