[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 19:31:33 UTC 2019

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 18:45, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> wrote:

no problem maintaing the currently defined terminology "prison" and
> "operator", for me: as I said it was a bit of hair splitting and as I hit
> the send button I also asked myself if maybe "jail" was an americanism (*I'm
> Italian, I spent some time in the US but very little time in the UK...*).

The prison/jail distinction tends to be an American thing.  In the UK they
mean the same
thing and police stations (if they have detention facilities at all) have
cells, not jails.  From what
I've dug up so far, it seems only the US has this distinction.

In researching this answer I also found that (according to Wiktionary)
"gaol" used to be the preferred
spelling in the UK and Australia until Monopoly came along and used the
American spelling even
in those two countries.

--
Paul