[Tagging] tags for tutor or coaching out of school

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 22:16:01 UTC 2019

On 11/03/19 01:40, Jarek Piórkowski wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 05:17, Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 在 2019年3月10日週日 11:04,Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> 寫道:
>>> There are a fair number of commercial tutor/coaching establishments that
>>> provide after school hours tuition in various subjects/courses.
>> I have checked some of these features in Taiwan  some are tagged office=educational_institution, some are tagged amenity=prep_school, some are simply tagged as shop=yes.
>> A discussion on Japanese osm mailing list suggest using amenity=prep_school for this type of facility.
>> On OSM Taiwan's hackpad it's suggested that they should be tagged with both office=educational_institution and amenity=prep_school.
> There was also a brief discussion about this in early February, see
> thread starting from
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-February/042983.html
>
> The findings then were also that there is no decent current tagging
> scheme. There was a suggestion for office=tutoring and tutoring=*.

To me an office is more of an administration type thing. I don't think it should be used for an educational function.
An office=educational_institution would be for record keeping, admissions, teacher preparation offices - that kind of thing.

shop=* to me they sell physical things .. mostly. I don't think of them as educational.

amenity=prep_school .. umm amenity ... not something I like to use.
And prep_school tends to indicate preparation before going to school rather than extra work on top of school.

Looking at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Education_features

I think it would be good to have a tag eduction=tutoring.
That could then have sub tags for max:age/min:age etc.

That then leads into thinking on using an education key for schools/colleges/kindergartens etc... which might be a good thing?