[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Sun Mar 10 23:29:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-11 00:02, Warin wrote:
> On 11/03/19 09:52, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>>> On 10. Mar 2019, at 14:13, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Which of all those get mapped as police and which get mapped as military will need to be
>>> figured out at some point.
>>
>> IMHO we should be able to map it as both (as military and as police) where it is applicable.
>>
> I think it comes down to their jurisdiction: who do they have power over?
>
> If it is the civilian population - then police
>
> If it is the military population and anyone on a military base them military_police
>
> Sorry if that does not fit around the world! Please explain the local situation? And then there will have to be some tagging accommodation?

In Italy there are five main, state-wide, police corps:

  * /Polizia di Stato/: a civil organization with civil jurisdiction (/with several different branches dealing with specific activities/).
  * /Carabinieri/: a military branch with military jurisdiction, but also civil jurisdiction.
  * /Polizia penitenziaria/:  a civil organization handling prisons, but with also other civil jurisdictions.
  * /Guardia di finanza/: a military organization, but depending from the Ministry of Finance, with civil jurisdiction on financial matters.
  * /Corpo delle capitanerie di porto - Guardia costiera/: a military organization, roughly comparable to the US Coast Guard.

Add to that several different local regional/provincial/metro polices.

Of particular interest (/for those interested in such things.../) is the "/Compagnia barracellare/" (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnia_barracellare), operating in Sardinia and that, having been founded in the 1560, represent the oldest existing European police force.

So, essentially all Italian police forces have civil jurisdiction with only the Carabinieri having military jurisdiction too. If I'm not mistaken...

Sergio