[Tagging] Mapping deforestation

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 15:32:25 UTC 2019

you can use landcover, it has about 160K uses now by 6000 users, but you
should know that
a. landcover is not currently rendered by OSM Carto.
b. THe proposal states that "All areas in the landcover features of natural
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=* will be transfered to
landcover <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=*. ...The tags
 landuse <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=grass
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dgrass>, landuse
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=forest
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dforest> and landuse
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=railway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drailway> will be
transfered to landcover <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>
=*." This is certainly not going to happen any time soon.

If you decide to use landcover for existing area's, use it in addition to
current mapping. For instance, if you replace landuse=grass with
landcover=grass, or natural=wood with landcover=trees, most renderings
suddenly will show these areas as grey. I would not recommend that, in fact
you'll get a storm of protest! So in these cases, you use landcover in
addition to landuse, and when landcover gets rendered (which I'm sure it
will, some time) you can alter landuse without greying the map.

To add patches of trees and grass in an area with landuse=residential,
industrial or leisure, you can use landcover, though it will not yet show
op on OSM Carto.

Also, major editors allow entering landcover, but have no special support
for landcover tags.

Of course, if you make your own map style for the project, you can make
landcover show up, just remember that the standard OSM Carto map does not.

Fr gr Peter Elderson