[Tagging] Mapping deforestation

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 23:55:33 UTC 2019

On 12/03/19 02:32, Peter Elderson wrote:
> you can use landcover, it has about 160K uses now by 6000 users, but
> you should know that
> a. landcover is not currently rendered by OSM Carto.
> b. THe proposal states that "All areas in the landcover features
> ofnatural <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=*will be
> transfered tolandcover
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=*. ...The
> tagslanduse <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=grass
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dgrass>,landuse
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=forest
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dforest>andlanduse
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>=railway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drailway>will be
> transfered tolandcover
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=*." This is
> certainly not going to happen any time soon.

And it is incorrect. landuse=railway is a use of the land, it does not
indicate a land cover.

> If you decide to use landcover for existing area's, use it in addition
> to current mapping. For instance, if you replace landuse=grass with
> landcover=grass, or natural=wood with landcover=trees, most renderings
> suddenly will show these areas as grey. I would not recommend that, in
> fact you'll get a storm of protest! So in these cases, you use
> landcover in addition to landuse, and when landcover gets rendered
> (which I'm sure it will, some time) you can alter landuse without
> greying the map.
Not all present landuse tags are landcovers.

> To add patches of trees and grass in an area with landuse=residential,
> industrial or leisure, you can use landcover, though it will not yet
> show op on OSM Carto.

Some of the tags relevant when mapping land covers are the keys
natural=*, landcover=*, building=*, sub keys surface=* and the one value
landcover=grass.
The landuse=residential, industrial or leisure are not relevant to land
cover as they may have different land covers within their boundaries.